Today, I’d like to share one of Prince Charming’s favorite healthy recipes – Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash. This dish will delight those of you who love recipes with a dash of Southwestern flair. For those of you who prefer sweet to savory, I have my own version of this recipe which I’ll share in an upcoming post!
3 Acorn Squash, Halved, Seeds Removed
3 Pounds Ground Turkey
4 Cups Chopped Onions
2 ½ Cups Chopped Red Bell Peppers
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 Can (15 Ounces) Black Beans With Liquid
1 Can (7 Ounces) Diced Green Chiles With Liquid
1 ½ Cups Roma Tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
¼ Teaspoon Black Ground Pepper
2 Teaspoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
1 Teaspoon Marjoram
2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Instructions – Acorn Squash
1. Grease or spray a baking sheet.
2. Place the acorn squash face down.
3. Bake at 350 degrees, until tender, for approximately 50 minutes.
Instructions – Savory Stuffing
1. Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet or wok. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, sauté the onions and red bell peppers in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil until tender and the onions are translucent.
3. Add the following ingredients to the cooked vegetables, stirring to combine thoroughly: ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and marjoram.
4. Add the black beans and their liquid, along with the green chilies, stirring to combine.
5. Add the tomatoes and parsley, stirring and allowing the mixture to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
1. Fill the cavity of each halved acorn squash and serve hot.
2. If you have any leftover filling, fill a corn or flour tortilla with the stuffing for a delicious sandwich!
Click to see more Recipes From Create With Joy.