Friendship Friday – Banned Books

Question Of The Week
This week is Banned Books Week!
How do you feel about books being challenged and
Banned from libraries and schools?
Have you read any banned books?

My Answer
I was raised in an environment where reading was cherished
And the free exchange of ideas was valued and encouraged,
Even when opinions differed,
So it saddens and shocks me when people attempt to
Censor books they do not agree with or understand.

It is shocking to visit the Banned Books Website
And see how many beloved bestsellers, classics and award-winners
Have made the list!

Banned Books Banner

Here are a few favorite Banned Books
I am proud to have read!

Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Where’s Waldo?, by Martin Hanford
Winnie The Pooh by A. A. Milne

Thanks to So Remembered Tales for this week’s question
And for hosting this week’s Book Blogger Hop!

Friendship Friday #36 – Week Of October 5, 2012

Welcome to Friendship Friday – a week-long opportunity to:

• Foster friendships with other bloggers!
  • Share what’s unique about yourself and your blog!
  • Grow your blog and social media networks!

Are you ready to make some new friends? Then, come join the fun! Please follow these friendly guidelines:

1) Each week, I’ll post a question that’s designed to help you get to know one another a little better. To participate, simply create a Friendship Friday post that includes the Friendship Friday blog hop button and/or a link back to this post – then add your permalink to the party!

You can also participate by adding the Friendship Friday button to your sidebar and answering the Question of the Week in the comments!

2) Please follow Create With Joy and leave a sweet comment so I’ll know you stopped by! If you’re a new follower, let me know how you are following so that I can reciprocate! You can follow Create With Joy on:

3) Visit your fellow participants and get to know them – building friendships is what this community is about! Support the bloggers you connect with by leaving a comment and following their blogs through one of the available subscription methods on their blogs!

The party will be open all week so that you have plenty of time to post, link and mingle! Have fun making friends and be sure to join me for Inspire Me Monday and Wordless Wednesday!

Host Your Next Party With

37 Responses to “Friendship Friday – Banned Books”

1. Tracey says:

Have you read some of the reasoning behind these banned books? They are a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Schools always get passed the banned book thing by having parents sign a form saying that it’s okay for their child (or children) to read that book. At least, they did in my school district.

2. Donna Heber says:

Hi Ramona,

I didn’t realize there were so many banned books. You really have given me something to think about. I can’t believe some of the books on your list are censored.

3. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites and I didn’t even read it until my daughter was in 9th grade and it was required reading for her. I can’t imagine why someone would ban a book like this one or any of those that you have on your list. Choosing a book to read should be the choice of the reader and not censored by a so called Authority!

4. Theresa
    Twitter: dearcreatives

I believe children & young adults should expand their thoughts & learning by reading all books. Nothing should be banned, when questions arise we should be there to help them, debate or just explain how things have changed or comment to what might be considered or is morally wrong. Knowledge can be power & teach compassion & how times change. There are only a few on the list I haven’t read & my youngest who is 10 has read many of the banned books. I don’t know if its more from home & library that she is reading them. (she is an avid reader) Is that what is being banned in schools now? That is crazy!

5. Create With Joy

Thank you ladies for sharing your thoughts on banned books and censorship. I think this is quite a provocative topic and I am looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

I would normally try to respond to your individual comments but things are acting up at the moment (I am WAY behind on updating my plug-ins) so doing the group thing today!

Donna – I was shocked the first time I went to the ALA site and started poking around. There are actually MULTIPLE lists containing MULTIPLE categories of banned books. This is the 35th anniversary of Banned Books Week… that adds up to a LOT of banned books!

Jeanette – To Kill A Mockingbird is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. To imagine why anyone would want to ban it is beyond me…

Theresa – Well said! I understand why parents might want to monitor what their children read … but that is totally different from taking away EVERYONE’S right to read a book!

I need to mark this down on my calendar next year and devote more time to the topic.
    It seems to sneak up on me every year!

6. Create With Joy

Yes… it’s fascinating to see why books make the list… Erica at Soon Remembered Books is doing a fabulous job of recounting some of the reasons why some of her favorites got banned… you can see here essays at:

7. Wayne says:

This is my first time with this meme but this is such an important question. Thanks for hostings!

8. Xmasdolly
    Twitter: Xmasdolly

So as I said before I’m not much of a reader, but no to be honest I’ve never read a banned book, and actually I don’t even know of any – sorry. Have a great weekend.

9. Create With Joy

Welcome to Friendship Friday Wayne! You wrote a GREAT post on this topic at linky #9 – I hope some of our participants will stop by and show you some comment love! 🙂

10. angie says:

I have read many of these and happy to say that I did

11. Crystelle says:

How funny is that! My kids and I have read some of those “banned” books as required literature!

12. Wow, that’s amazing — where would we be without Tom Sawyer or Winnie the Pooh? Thanks for the great post & for hosting, & God bless!

13. Teri says:

Altho I’m not a parent, I am a very concerned auntie… and there are books that I feel are NOT suitable for a young person. And I think that a school library should not have them available where they can be read by a minor child. Once a child reaches the age of majority they can decide for themselves what they will read but before that it is a parent’s responsibility to instill values and ethics in the manner they decide and at the age they decide for their children.

However, in the adult world I disagree with most censorship. There is a whole lot of pure junk stuck between covers… but as we live in America it is one of our rights to read it if we wish… as long as it does not endanger lives or national security (a debate happening right now).

14. Create With Joy

Hi Teri,

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you sharing your views and I’m glad to hear a different opinon!

I DO agree that there are books that are not suituable for a young person, but the question is – whose responsibility is it to monitor that? And who determines what is suitable? What one person considers inappropriate, another person does not. And should an entire school, community, or population be deprived of great literature because one person doesn’t like it?

I believe that is is a parent’s responsibility to monitor what their children are reading and to determine whether the material is sutiable for them, based on their age, maturity, etc. And if a parent believes that something is not appropriate for their child – they should take that opportunity to discuss why they have made that decision and use it as an educational moment.

In my opinion, preventing others with different values who choose to read a book is crossing a line.

Thanks for sharing. I hope others will weigh in, either in the comments or in their own Friendship Friday posts! 🙂

15. Jenn says:

First time joining in 🙂 interesting this … Australia has a very different response to banning books … we rarely do. So many of the books suggested to be banned I have read – in school.

16. Lizzy says:

Why oh why is Charlotte’s Web on that list?

Its such a CLASSIC! Is the death of a spider too traumatic for kids or something?

17. DogsMom says:

I also read many of the books on that list! And I believe many more that would fall within the “banned” criteria. It is amazing how the criteria changes across the generations.

I believe that a library should have the option to spend their limited funds on books they choose, but not to NOT carry an item based on the opinions of a minority, and that is what the people making up those lists is – not a majority of people. So if I went to my library and asked for a certain book, if they personally don’t have it they would be willing to check other libraries within their system.

On the other hand, educational systems that have a required reading list can be violating the rights of parents who choose for their children not to be exposed to specific ideas and materials.

Oh why can we not all get along and enjoy and appreciate a free exchange of ideas!

18. Angela says:

I have read 7 of the books you put on your list. I don’t understand why those books would be banned. I do understand why ‘Are You There God, It’s me Margret’ maybe banned because it is probably not appropriate for some children. ‘Winnie the Poo’? Give me a break. I have never read about why these books are banned and the reasoning behind it. I do know that there was an instance that I had to sign a form for my son to read a book when he was little. I can’t remember what book it was though, because it has been 15 years ago. You have gave me something to think about, and I am going to search for the reasoning behind the ban for these books. Some of those books that are on your list seem ridiculous that they would be banned. Thanks for sharing this post! Now I have research to do.

19. Nina says:

I agree that it’s very sad that people do that! And really why? The reasons are just ridiculous. A lot of great books are on that list! 🙂

Have a great weekend!

J’adore Happy Endings

20. Gigi Ann says:

After googling what the 100 top banned books were I found I had only read three of them, not because they are banned books, but because most of the banned books were not in genres I read.

21. diane says:

Hey Friend,
    Thanks for hosting the blog hop, looking forward to our first Friday hop with you. On the subject of banned books,… obviously against. lol.. as a writer and published author, I find censorship offensive, and the limiting and judgement of knowledge or opinions or creative expression really barbaric… instead of banning books, can’t we see them as a chance to talk about issues that perhaps we don’t agree with? Fear of the written word… ? really?

22. Silver's Reviews
    Twitter: login4108

Stop by my blog if you like. My link is below.

Happy Hopping.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews

23. Susie
    Twitter: LevineSusie

I found your blog on the Book Blogger Hop and I agree with you – I am proud to have read banned books!

Also, I love this idea of Friendship Fridays! It’s so sweet!

I’ll follow you through g+, twitter and pinterest!

24. Joyce says:

My boys attend a teen club at our local library, I also need to interject we are a family of readers. I thought it was great when they were encouraged to take home a banned book to read, then discuss it the next week. Each book was covered by a homemade paper bag book cover. There was a sticker that told why the book was banned, we had fun trying to guess which book it might be. We were also shocked to see some of our favorites included, it is ridiculous, who does this? I mean is it the library, complaining parents, who?

25. momto8blog says:

I have read and encourage my kids to read everyone of this books. i do not think ANY books should be banned

26. Oh my goodness!! I can’t even imagine why all these books are banned. They are fabulous reads. In fact many were required reading in school. Who is it that censors the books? Gosh I’m feeling awful….I’ve a whole lot of catching up to do on this subject. Thanks for sharing the book list.

27. joy says:

I’m not really fond of reading books but knowing that there are some books that were being banned is kind a makes me curious of the reason why. i never had a chance to read some of it as well.

28. I must have been living under a rock, because I didn’t know some of those titles had been banned – CRAZY. Which means yes, I definitely have read many of those banned books, and will need to pick my jaw up off the floor from my incredulity of them being banned. What is the world coming to?? 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Get Your Motor Running

29. Harriet says:

I’d rather they ban certain TV shows personally…for stupidity more than anything.

Have a great weekend!

30. That’s terrible about the banned books, however I remember a few months back where a pedophile had posted a book about how to get victims and I do believe something like that should be banned.

However nothing on your list above should have been banned.

Happy weekend to you.

31. Rosey says:

Winnie the Pooh? What’d he do?? lol

I have read quite a few books on that list, and I’m not in favor of book banning. You don’t like it, don’t read it. That’s what I think.

32. Marcie says:

I have read most of the books on your list. In my opinion we should be the one to judge what books we read, as in TV, there is some great reading out there and some pretty awfully written material. When I was in college I had a banned reading course and Lolita and Walt Whitman’s, Leaves Of Grass, were some of the books I had to read.

33. self sagacity
    Twitter: selfsagacity

Some of these books are classics since I was in school, it is ashamed that they are banning them. I have read some of these banned books. I do not understand the banned theory. It is one thing they decided not to carry the books, but banned? I don’t think it should have gone to that extreme, unless the books are encouraging some very fatal acts.

34. Cathi says:

I have read banned books and so have my grandkids. I don’t think books should be banned however there are some that are inappropriate for elementary school and other for high schools.

35. Paula J says:

Wow I’m on the late side linking up this week. Blogs been giving me trouble. Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :))

Have a great week!
    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

1. Friendship Friday – Banned books … Australia still the lucky country | The Serenity Space says:

[…] weeks “Friendship Friday” post by Create With Joy, to which I am now participating in (I love these themes on blog sites) is in regards to Banned […]

2. […] at TidyMom + Create with Joy This is the fifth post in a series, 31 Extraordinary Days.  Click here to see a list of all the […]