The Sinners’ Garden – Book Review
Strange things are happening all around the small Lake Erie township of Benning.
- A teenage boy hears heavenly music and receives cryptic, prophetic messages on his dead i-pod.
- A mysterious criminal called the Summer Santa breaks into homes – not to steal things – but to leave expensive gifts behind.
- A beautiful, intoxicating garden crops up overnight in the fields of an abandoned steel mill.
What is the meaning of these events? Are they good or bad? How do these events impact the lives of the townspeople?
Author William Sirls explores these questions in The Sinners’ Garden – his second novel and the most unique story that I’ve read this year!
The Sinners’ Garden is a highly character-driven book that views these mysterious happenings through the lives of Andy and Judi Kemp – a 14 year old teenager and his mother whose lives and relationship are forever changed due to the unimaginable acts of an abusive father and husband – coupled by a despicable, horrible lie.
Other key characters in the book include:
- Uncle Rip – a former drug dealer turned Christian who now wants to be a role model for Andy.
- Heather Gerisch – a small-town cop who secretly loves Uncle Rip and who – unbeknownst to the police department – is unable to fire her gun.
- Kevin Hart – the richest man in town – a man who the town loves but is not the saint that most people perceive him to be.
- Pastor Welsh – a man of great grace and wisdom who provides friendship and counsel to Uncle Rip.
The Sinners’ Garden is a highly symbolic book that explores several significant questions and powerful themes.
- How do we know what happens to our loved ones after they die?
- How do we move past the pain of our past when we are constantly reminded of it by everyone around us?
- How do we handle our anger towards those who deliberately hurt us and the ones we love?
- How do we forgive the unforgivable?
With its diverse characters – its unique plot – its relevant themes – and the Reading Group Guide at the end of the book – The Sinners’ Garden is a compelling mystery and a great selection for a book club!
I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.
The Sinners’ Garden by William Sirls – Audio Reading
About William Sirls
Over the course of his life, William Sirls has experienced both great highs and tremendous lows—some born of chance, some born of choice. Life lessons involving faith, grace, and forgiveness are evident in his writing. William’s first novel, The Reason, was published in 2012. The Sinners’ Garden is his second novel. William makes his home in southern Michigan.
For More Information:
- Visit William’s Website.
- Visit The Sinner’s Garden Blog Tour Page.
- Connect with William on Facebook and Twitter.
- The Sinner’s Garden is available on Amazon.
For More Great Books:
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Copyright © 2014 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
If you see this content posted elsewhere, please contact the site owner.
Thank you for helping to prevent content theft!