What’s On My Work Desk This Week?
Happy WOYWW to you, dear friends! Whenever you begin a creation, the inspiration must come from somewhere. This week, I was inspired by Basic Grey.
As I was digging through my collection of 6 x 6 paper, I came across a new pad of Basic Grey Lily and Kate papers. I instantly fell in love with their soft pastel colors which reminded me of winter moving into spring.
So, I set out to capture that feeling of change – that sense you get when there are still crisp reminders that winter wants to linger on – where there is still a lingering sense of starkness even as buds are starting to appear – yet there is also the promise of life as flowers start to burst through the ground and begin to bloom around us.
I wanted to create a card of contrasts…yet I still wanted to create a very pretty, soft, feminine card.
First, I chose a deep, textured lavender cardstock for the card’s backdrop. This color provides a nice a contrast against the Basic Grey paper and the color combination invokes memories of sky against snow.
Next, I layered a scrap of a Creative Imaginations – Karen Russell Narratives transparency over the cardstock. The soft, flowing white scripted letters adds visual interest and color contrast, provides layering without bulk, and creates an ambience of snow falling from the sky – part of the wintery effect I wanted to convey.
Then, I chose one of the Basic Grey papers – selecting this particular pattern because it reminds me of the first blooms of spring breaking through the ground. I softly tore the paper into two cascading pieces, which I layered one on top of the other for depth and visual interest.
I then wove a fibery ribbon through the vines – added pretty pastel handmade flowers with softly shimmering pearl centers for my blooms – and added my final layer, a quote stamped on a transparency that reads:
A friend is one who believes in you
When you have ceased to believe in yourself.
The stamp is from a grab bag of unmounted mystery stamps so I don’t know who to attribute the stamp or sentiment to.
Where Are The Crafty Cats?
While I was focused on creating my card, Tsunami, The Lion King, was busy playing with my camera! To see the majestic selfie my regal Maine Coon shared this week, visit him at Wordless Wednesday – Tsunami Takes A Selfie – and be sure to share your pet’s photos or your favorite workdesk shots while you’re there!
Now it’s your turn to inspire us with your creativity! What’s inspiring you this week? What have you created? Be sure to share your latest creations with us at one of our weekly parties!
Have a wonderful week and thanks for stopping by to see what’s on my work desk this week!
Creative Art Challenges
Are you ready to jump-start your creativity? Here’s this week’s list of Creative Art Challenges to inspire you (organized alphabetically by Theme or Anything Goes!)
- Allsorts Challenge #299 – The Color Purple
- Bunny Zoe’s Crafts February Challenge – For The Girls
- City Crafter Challenge Blog #250 – Use It Up
- Come And Get It Challenge – Layer It On
- Crafting Desert Divas Linky Party 49 –Use Ribbon
- Crafts Galore Encore Challenges – Use A Stamp Or Digi For February
- Crafty Boots Challenges – Use A Sentiment
- Crafty Hazelnut’s Patterned Paper February 2015 Challenge
- Crazy Challenge #191 – For My Mom
- Cute Card Thursday Challenge #31 –Floral Delight
- Dazzling Diva Challenge #64 – Texture or Anything Goes
- Dream It Up – Frilly And Fabulous
- Inky Chicks #47 – Flowers
- Kitty Bee Designs – Aloha Friday Challenge #41 – Favorite Color Combo – Cool Pastels
- Loves Rubber Stamps #140 – Use Ribbon and/or Lace
- My Creative Moments Challenge #4 – Think Spring
- Mod Squad Challenge Blog – Spring Forward
- Noor Designs Challenge #3 – Spring
- Papertake Weekly – Take Your Pick (Cool Colors)
- Penny’s Paper Challenge #216 – Lots Of Layers
- Pink Saturday
- Really Reasonable Ribbon #112 – Purple And Green With Ribbon Theme
- Red Rubber Inspirationals #208 – Let’s Hear It For The Girl
- Retarte #36 – Something New (Paper) & Something Old (Transparency)
- Rubies Rainbow Challenges #98 – Anything Green
- Simon Says Challenge – No Rules
- Sweet Stampin Challenge Blog – Spring Flowers
- The Crafter’s Café Challenge #105 – Lots Of Layers
- Top Tip Tuesday – Rubber Stamps Only
- Vintage Stamping Challenges #29 – Bring On Those Spring Colors
- We Do Doobadoo Challenge 4 – Spring Greens
- Whimsy Stamps #80 – Use A Sentiment
Be Creative – Anything Goes Challenges
- 613 Avenue Create – Anything Goes Challenge #112
- 7 Kids Challenge #120 – Anything Goes
- A Girl Who Crafts – February Anything Goes Challenge
- Card And Scraps #91 – Anything Goes
- Crafting From The Heart Challenge 48 – Anything Goes
- Crafty Calendar February Challenge – Anything Goes
- Craft Your Passion Challenges #250 – Almost Anything Goes
- Creative Fingers Challenge Blog #68 – Anything Goes
- Creative Moments #62 – Anything Goes with Optional Twist / Paper Piecing
- Cuttin and Stampin Bi-Weekly Challenge #8 – Anything Goes
- Digi Choosday #8 – Anything Goes
- DL Art February Linky Challenge – Anything Goes
- Inspiration Destination #22 – Anything Goes
- Kraftin Kimmie Wonderful Wednesday Challenge – Anything Goes
- Love To Scrap Challenge Blog 48 – Anything Goes
- My Craft Creations – 2/16 to 2/28 – Anything Goes
- Not Just Cards Challenges #13 – Anything Goes
- Party Time Tuesdays #195 – Anything Goes Challenge
- Scrapper’s Delight Challenge #41 – Anything Goes
- Scribble & Scrap Challenge 38 – Anything Goes
- Simon Says Anything Goes Challenge
- Simply Create Too Challenge #79 – Anything Goes
- Sister Act Card Challenge #94 – Anything Goes
- Suzy Bee’s Bloomin Challenge Blog #68 – Anything Goes With A Twist – Monochrome
- The Paper Nest Dolls #2 – Anything Goes
- Through The Craftroom Door – Feb 24 –March 2 – Anything Goes
- Tuesday Throwdown #233 – Anything Goes
- Word Art Wednesday 172 – Anything Goes
Copyright © 2015 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
Please contact us if you see our content on another site.
Thank you for helping stop content theft!