Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship
What does it mean to praise God? When you think of your typical weekend worship services, what comes to mind? If you were looking for a way to expand how you worship God, what would you do?
In their new book Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship, world renown worship leader Chris Tomlin and pastor Darren Whitehead expand our understanding of what it means to come into the presence of God with praise and thanksgiving by introducing us to 7 Hebrew words:
- Yadah: To revere or worship with extended hands (Psalm 67:3)
- Halal: To boast, rave, shine, celebrate, be clamorously foolish (Psalm 149:3)
- Zamar: To make music; to celebrate in song and music (Psalm 144:9)
- Towdah: An extension of the hand; Thanksgiving; a confession; a sacrifice of praise; a thanksgiving for things not yet received; a choir of worshipers (Psalm 56:11-12)
- Barak: To kneel; to bless God (as an act of adoration); to praise, salute, thank (Psalm 72:11)
- Tehillah: Laudation; a hymn, a song of praise, a new song, a spontaneous song (Psalm 22:3)
- Shabach: To address in a loud tone; to shout; to commend, glory and triumph (Psalm 145:4)
In our English Bibles, each of these Hebrew words is translated as “praise”, but as you can see, by exploring the word “praise” in the original language, the meaning of what it means to praise God takes on new heights!
Through story-telling, the exploration of contemporary worship songs, Bible verses to explore, and questions to reflect on, Tomlin and Whitehead help us to explore the nuance of each of these aspects of worship!
Holy Roar is an easy book to read, but the concepts about worship that it presents are quite profound and have the potential to change how you approach our Holy God in praise and worship!
I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
For More Information
- Visit the Holy Roar website.
For More Great Books
- Visit Create With Joy – Book Reviews.
- Follow Create With Joy on GoodReads.
- Join us at The Book Nook At Create With Joy – a community for book lovers!
Copyright © 2018 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
If you see this content posted elsewhere, please contact the site owner.
Thank you for helping to prevent content theft!