One of the most beloved characters in the Old Testament is David. There are many reasons he captivates our hearts:
- We love him because of his courage: this lone shepherd slew a mighty giant with a slingshot!
- We love him because of his sensitivity: he had the capacity to calm a crazed king with his harp-playing!
- We love him because of his authenticity: when we need to pour our hearts out to God, we turn to his Psalms, for who else expresses the highs and lows of life like David?
I believe that the biggest reason David captivates our hearts is his humanity. Like so many of us, in spite of his great strengths and accomplishments, he demonstrates an equally great capacity for sin.
David did not always own up to his actions:
- He is prone to lying and covering up his wrongdoings.
- His unchecked desires lead him to adultery and to murder.
- He has a child out of wedlock.
- His sins don’t just affect him – they affect his family as well!
In spite of his failings, however, God calls David “a man after my own heart” – which has great implications for us. If God can love and forgive David in spite of his shortcomings –perhaps He can love and forgive us too!
In A Heart Like His – Intimate Reflections On The Life Of David, beloved Bible Teacher Beth Moore provides us with an in-depth look at the life of David – the shepherd turned refugee who is destined to become King of Israel. Beth’s book takes you into every nook and cranny of David’s life – starting with his back story and ending with his legacy. Beth says that as you read this book, you’ll complete a detailed study of 1 and 2 Samuel, and find yourself immersed in many portions of Psalms, 1 and 2 Chronicles, and other Old and New Testament books as well. The book is so fascinating, though, it reads like a story – you won’t feel like you’re “studying” a thing!
As Beth writes, her goal is to help you answer the following practical questions:
- How can a person be forgiven and restored after sin?
- How can a person continue to be faithful to God when nothing seems to be going his or her way?
- How can a person find God when he or she feels all alone?
- How important is God’s influence on the family?
From start to finish, I could not put this book down. I found each of the 52 chapters captivating, and the review questions at the end of the book thought-provoking. This is another great book from Beth Moore!
Beth Moore is the best-selling author and Bible teacher who first sensed God’s call on her life at age 18. Although she had no idea where she would be led, she decided to say yes to whatever God asked of her. She fell in love with the Word of God when she took a Bible doctrine class at her church under Buddy Walters, a former college football player who taught Scripture with tears streaming down his cheeks. She prayed that God would instill that same type of passion for His Word in her.
In 1994, Beth founded Living Proof Ministries, an organization dedicated to teaching women how to fall in love with God’s Word and live it out in their lives. Today, her speaking engagements take her all over the United States and around the world. She has been married for over three decades to her husband Keith, is the mother of two adult daughters, and a proud grandmother.
More Great Resources
If this book interests you, here are a few more books you may enjoy:
- Anything by Jennie Allen
- A Year With God by R. P. Nettlehorst
- Deeper Into The Word by Keri Wyatt Kent
For more great books, visit Create With Joy – Book Reviews!
Stay In Touch
Keep the inspiration coming! Follow Create With Joy on:
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Shelton Interactive for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review, nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.