That’s why I’m pleased to introduce you to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Other Invisible Illnesses – The Comprehensive Guide by Katrina Berne. This is the third edition of Katrina’s classic book that was previously published as Running On Empty.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and other Invisible Illnesses – The Comprehensive Guide is divided into three parts:
- In Part One, What These Illnesses Are, Katrina explores the differences and similarities between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and other chronic but invisible illnesses. She discusses the wide constellation of symptoms that occur among those suffering from these illnesses and covers a number of other relevant topics.
- In Part Two, What These Illnesses Do, Katrina looks at how these illnesses impact every aspect of our personal lives. She explores the impact of these illnesses on every major system within our bodies – and discusses how these conditions affect adults and children differently. She also discusses the impact of these illnesses on our relationships, including our spouses and partners, our families, and our friendships.
- In Part Three, What You Can Do, Katrina shifts her attention to helping us receive the best care possible within the traditional medical system, and to taking the best care of ourselves possible outside of the medical system. Some of the topics she addresses in this section include choosing a doctor wisely, treatment options, and self-care recommendations.
Katrina includes a wealth of additional resources at the end of her book, including her popular Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Fibromyalgia Syndrome Symptom Checklist (which can be found online at several sites).
One thing that distinguishes this book from others on the market is that Katrina Berne is familiar, both personally and professionally, with the havoc that these illnesses wreak on the lives of the individuals that have them. Katrina was diagnosed with primary CFS and secondary Fibromyalgia in 1985. In addition, she spent over 22 years of private practice specializing in helping others with these and related disorders. Her knowledge of what is relevant to someone seeking information about these conditions is evident throughout the book.
Whether you are a patient or a health care professional, you will find that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Other Invisible Illnesses – The Comprehensive Guide by Katrina Berne an invaluable resource that deserves a place on your medical reference bookshelf.
More Great Resources
If you like this book, here are a few more books you may enjoy:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – A Treatment Guide by Erica Verrillo
- Food Allergy and Gluten-Free Weight Loss by Nicolette M. Dumfe
- The Art Of Getting Well by David Spero
For more great books, visit Create With Joy – Book Reviews!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Hunter House Publishers for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review, nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.