Bible Journaling Matthew 11:28-30 – Rest
I recently began reading THRIVE: A Devotional Journaling Bible For Women during my devotional moments and I cannot begin to tell you how blessed I have been by this particular Bible! I think that the special features found in this Bible – particularly the devotionals that are written in the form of love letters from God and the in-text prayers – make you feel as if you’ve sat across the table and had a personal conversation with God!
As if that wasn’t enough, there is more room to write and journal in this Bible than in any other Bible I own – plus, its shabby chic design makes it one of the prettiest you’ll ever find! For more information on the beautiful THRIVE Journaling Bible and for a chance to win one of your own, be sure to Enter Our Bible Journaling Giveaway and subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss a single post!
I couldn’t wait to create my first Bible Journaling page in the lovely THRIVE Bible – but I can’t help but wonder if I’m the only person who has difficulty finding the right place to begin? The right spot, the right verse, the right way to make your mark…
I ended up starting with Matthew 11:28-30 – a verse I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting on this year. I spent a good portion of time looking up the meanings of the words in the original language to get a better understanding of what the passage means. Here is what the verse says in the New Living Translation (the version the THRIVE Bible is written in):
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
There were several things that stood out to me as I worked through the passage. First, the invitation that Jesus extends to us to “come” to Him is the very same invitation that He extends to the apostles Simon Peter and Andrew when He invites them to come, follow Him, and be His disciples – He uses the exact same word in the original language in Matthew 4:19!
Second, Jesus is inviting us to find freedom in Him from the heavy religious burdens and responsibilities that we often carry – burdens imposed by man, not God.
Finally, I realized that, when left to our own devices, we will often bury ourselves under self-imposed burdens as we try to please everyone around us and do everything that comes our way – but God designed us for rest! He created a day of rest specifically for us! So, are you feeling weary and burdened? Jesus is inviting us to follow Him so that He can teach us how to find rest for our souls!
Originally I planned to journal in this Bible using monochromatic tones – but that plan ended as soon as I opened my washi box and found the pretty floral tape in the middle of the page that picked up the blue but also added the bright pink florals to the mix. A color scheme was born! Out came the paint, stamps, washi, transparencies, and color pens, and soon my first page was completed!
Bible Journaling Tip
Are you afraid of writing in your Bible because you might make a mistake? Well, no need to worry – I’ve already done that for you! It happens – it’s a reminder that only God is perfect – and here’s a tip on how to move past that!
I created this page in the wee hours of the night and was horrified to discover a few days later that I’d actually written the wrong verse on this page! (John 4:19 should read Matthew 4:19!) But, it’s not the first time I’ve made a boo boo in my journal and it probably won’t be the last! Here is how I plan on fixing it:
When I have a moment, I will place a white label over my boo boo and write the correct book name on it – that way, no messy lines and no gloppy white out! For all practical purposes, you and I will probably be the only ones who know about it (promise you won’t tell?)
An Invitation To Share
If you’re a crafter or creative blogger, we’d love for you to share your creative posts at our week-long Inspire Me Monday Party – you may even become one of our Featured Guests!
Creative Art Challenges
What’s On Your Desk this week? I shared the first Bible Journaling page I created in my THRIVE Devotional Journaling Bible – be sure to enter our Bible Journaling Giveaway through June 11, 2017 for a chance to win one of your very own!
If you’re looking for more ways to jump-start your creativity, visit the desk-hoppers at WOYWW or join one of the following Creative Art Challenges:
- 613 Avenue Create – Anything Goes Challenge #198
- A Bit More Time To Craft Challenge #45 – Anything Goes
- A Perfect Time To Craft Challenge #6 – Open Challenge
- Art Impressions – Let’s Distress
- Artistic Inspirations #180 – Anything Goes
- Corrosive Challenge Blog #6 June – Anything Goes
- Crafting From The Heart #162 – Anything Goes
- Crafting With An Attitude #28 – Anything Goes
- Crafting With Friends #44– Anything Goes
- Crafts Galore Encore Challenges – June
- Crafty Creations #343 – Anything Goes
- Crafty Girls Creations #37 – Anything Goes
- Creatalicious Challenges #116 – Anything Goes
- Creates And Makes Challenge #12 – Anything Goes
- Creative Fingers Challenge #131 – Anything Goes
- Crop Shop – May Challenge
- Digi Choosday Week 23 – Anything Goes
- DL Art June Linky Challenge – Anything Goes
- Inspiration Destination #128 – Anything Goes
- Jo’s Scrap Shack FFC #191 – Anything Goes
- Journaling Through The Bible – Week 22
- Lemon Shortbread Challenge #43 – Anything Goes
- Lil Patch Of Crafty Friends Challenge #59 – Anything Goes
- Pammies Inky Pinky Challenges #173 – Anything Goes
- PDE #175 – Anything Goes
- Pink Saturday – Anything Goes
- Polkadoodle Week #22 – Anything Goes
- QKR Stampede Challenge #246 – Anything Goes
- Scrappers Delight Anything Goes Challenge
- Simply Papercraft #47 – Anything Goes
- Stamp Art Papel – Retarte #99 – Anything Goes
- The Crafty Addicts #37 – Anything Goes
- The Paper Nest Dolls Challenge 6 – Anything Goes
- The Paper Shelter #297 – Flower Power
- Through The Craftroom Door – Week of June 6-13 – Anything Goes
- Time Out Challenges #85 – Home Sweet Home (Colors/Flowers)
- Wonderful Wednesday – Anything Goes
- Word Art Wednesday 286-287 – Anything Goes
Copyright © 2017 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
Please contact us if you see our content on another site.
Thank you for helping stop content theft!