Stuffed Pumpkin with Apple & Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
2011 Taste Of Home Iron Chef Challenge Bake-Off
This September, I was thrilled to win the Red Star Yeast Iron Chef Challenge at A Latte With Ott A with my Chocolate Babka recipe – so, you can imagine my excitement when I was invited to face off in an Iron Chef Challenge Bake-Off against the other 2011 winners!
- Make Taste Of Home Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
- Create a new recipe from the Cinnamon Raisin Bread and blog about it.
The winner of the challenge – which Taste Of Home is sponsoring and judging – will be named the 2011 Iron Chef Blogger!
The Creative Process
For this challenge, I baked the Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Apples and Pecans to create a scrumptious bread pudding that is reminiscent of fresh-baked French apple pie. I also carved and baked a petite pumpkin that serves as the dessert’s gorgeous presentation bowl. Finally, I created a delicious rum glaze to drizzle over the bread pudding, and added fresh pomegranate kernels for a luscious, colorful effect. The dish looks so beautiful you won’t want to eat it – but once you taste it, you won’t want to stop!
Note: When I made this recipe, I baked a double portion as reflected in the photographs.
Stuffed Pumpkin With Apple & Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Seasonal enough for the harvest… elegant enough for the holidays… when you want to serve your family and guests an extraordinary dessert that speaks of comfort and culinary delight – present your guests with this beautiful, delicious dessert.
4 Slices of Taste Of Home Cinnamon Raisin Bread
6 Tablespoons Butter, Melted Plus 1 Teaspoon Butter, Melted and Set Aside
½ Cup Packed Brown Sugar Plus 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
½ Cup Chopped Pecans
3 Large Tart Apples, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
1 Tablespoon Calvados Apple Brandy
1 Pie Pumpkin, About The Size Of Your Hand
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream Plus ½ Tablespoon Heavy Cream
½ Teaspoon Vanilla
½ Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon Rum
1 Tablespoon Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
1. Make two loaves of Taste Of Home Cinnamon Raisin Bread (challenge requirement).
2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
3. Cut four, ½ inch thick slices from the Cinnamon Raisin Bread and toast them until firm and brown – well done but not burnt. Slice the bread into ½” cubes. Place the cubes in a large bowl and set them aside.
4. Combine the following ingredients in a medium bowl:
- 6 Tablespoons of Melted Butter
- ½ Cup of Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Liqueur
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the following ingredients until smooth:
- 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Egg
6. Combine the mixed ingredients from Steps 4 & 5 and mix until smooth.
7. Pour the mixture from Step 6 over the cubed cinnamon raisin bread (Step 3) and gently fold everything
8. Place the sliced apples in the bottom of a 9 x 9 casserole dish. Scoop the bread mixture over the apples.
9. Cut off the top of the pumpkin; reserve the lid. Scoop out the pumpkin seeds and pulp. Brush the inside of the pumpkin with 1 teaspoon of melted butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Top with the lid.
10. Place the pumpkin and the 9 x 9 casserole dish on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake the pumpkin for 40 minutes and bake the bread pudding for 60 minutes.
11. While the dessert is baking, make the Rum Glaze by whisking these ingredients together in a bowl until smooth:
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Rum
12. When the pumpkin is done baking, drain any residual liquid from it.
13. Fill the pumpkin with the Apple and Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding.
14. Garnish with 1 Tablespoon of Pomegranate Kernels and 1 Tablespoon of Rum Glaze.
15. Serve immediately.
- For more great recipes, see Create With Joy – Recipes!