Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-A-Thon – April 2013

Deweys 24 Hour Read-A-Thon April 2013

Introduction to the Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-A-Thon

Welcome to my Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-A-Thon Page! This is my first year participating in Dewey’s so I’m learning the ropes, but from what I can gather, this read-a-thon was first held in 2007 by a woman named Dewey who, sadly, is no longer with us. The event is still held bi-annually in her honor – in April and October – where, for 24 hours, people sign up to read books, and to participate in optional hourly mini-challenges! I’ll be updating this page throughout the event to keep track of the mini-challenges I participate in.

Cheer me on!

Hour 1 Mini-Challenge – Introductory Questionnaire

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? United States

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I’ve picked one book to read – Freefall To Fly. If I finish it, I’ll add another as time allows!

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Chocolate fuels me on!

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I have always loved reading – as a child, I thought the alphabet was the most magical invention in the world! I marveled at how you could create books from 26 little alphabets. When I was young, I wanted to read every book there was in the library.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first read-a-thon and the thing I am looking forward to the most is the camaraderie and the chance to connect with other book lovers!

Hour 2 Mini-Challenge – Post The Books

Freefall To Fly

Today I am reading Freefall to Fly – A Breathtaking Journey Toward A Life Of Meaning by Rebekah Lyons. Tune in on Monday, April 29, 2013 for my review of the book!

Hour 8 Mini-Challenge – Book Sentence Challenge

Book Sentence Challenge: Take a photo of a stack of books and use the titles in a sentence.

Book Sentence Challenge

My Sentence:

In a world filled with Limitless choices, it shall forever remain A Season Of Mysteries to me why Mary chose to forsake traditional Campfire Cuisine and insisted on Cooking With Flowers; I guess she wanted a Sunflower Summer.

Hour 9 Mini-Challenge – Clear The Webs and Recharge Yoga Challenge

I rejoined the Read-A-Thon in Hour 9 after a much needed cat nap, so starting with some deep breathing and stretching felt good! I did the first three poses (to the best of my ability – I did not have a mat and I now have rug burn on my knees from the cat pose!)

Hour 14 Mini Challenge – Share A Quote

Share A Quote Mini Challenge: Share a quote from the book you are reading.

This quote is from page 37 of Freefall to Fly by Rebekah Lyons..

Stay.

To stay in the freefall means to stop running.

To stop avoiding the pain. To embrace the struggle. To settle in with the lament. To get cozy with my nemesis. Because it was working something out in me that was buried deep. Locked down for a number of years. Wounds that had been planted long ago were starting to show their ugly heads. I was scared. But I needed to give them room to surface. To let them out.

16 Responses to “Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-A-Thon – April 2013”

1. Tanya @Moms Small Victories
    Twitter: momsvictories

Good luck recharging and plugging through the night.As promised, here to cheer you on!!!

2. I love reading as well, but these days I am lucky to get through a book in 24 days much less 24 hours. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Janet

Well no wonder – you’ve been a busy builder! I LOVE that new cat post of yours! Fleece? Cool!

Thanks for the cheer. Going to find a cool spot to curl up and carry on! 🙂

3. Jennifer
    Twitter: jenhartling

I had to take a nap as well 😉 No shame in that!! I hope your day is going wonderfully!

Everywhere we go
    People want to know
    Who we are
    So we tell them
    We are the readers!
    The mighty, mighty readers!

I hope you’re having a fantastic Read-a-Thon!
    Jennifer ~ Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

Thanks Jennifer! We’re having a heatwave today (so it seems) so I am finding it necessary to take frequent breaks and look for cool spots to read in!
      Hope you’re having a productive day. Love your poem! 🙂

4. JP@A Quiet Corner
    Twitter: IamjpJP

Good luck with your challenge! It sounds like fun…:)JP

5. Looks like you’re doing great and caught a 2nd wind 🙂 I’m not officially participating in the read-a-thon, but following along anyway.

Thanks Tanya! Normally I plunge head first into everything and “try to do it all” but since this is my 4th read-a-thon this week (!!!) I am really taking a more relaxed approach to it. Reading off and on – content to finish my one book – participating in some of the challenges – chatting off and on – and taking frequent breaks in between! (Normally I’d be trying to squeeze in most of the challenges and multiple books so I feel really good about this pace!)

Oh yes – and that catnap this afternoon REALLY helped! 🙂

6. What gorgeous kitties! I took a nap this afternoon and it definitely helped.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the read–a-thon.

Jenn and The Cats *Team Panda*

Thanks so much! Appreciate the support!
      When I woke up both of the kitties were curled up with me.
      They LOVE it when I catnap during the day! 🙂

7. Donna says:

Sounds like a fun challenge! Interesting quote from the book, too. Blessings as you read on.

8. Oh my god!! THE QUOTE! It’s so so beautiful! I love it <3 <3 <3 Woah, really. Thank you for sharing it with us 🙂 Hope you had a great time at the readathon! 🙂 🙂

Glad you like it – my book is full of tiny bookmarks for the amazing quotes I found as I read her book (drives my husband crazy when I pass along books to read and he finds my markers sticking out of them!)

Hope you’ll pop back in for the book review! 🙂