With Easter just around the corner, I thought I’d share a little something different with my What’s On Your Workspace Wednesday (WOYWW) friends at Stamping Ground. A few days ago, I made the kitchen my workspace and tested a new recipe I’m thinking of serving for Easter dessert – Kentucky Butter Rum Cake – which Melissa from Mme Designs so generously shared with me – and which I’ve updated for personal use!
Now, it is a rare day that I call the kitchen my workspace, but every now and then, I have a “bakerella” moment, to my husband’s delight. When he heard I was thinking of making a cake, he wasted no time running out and buying the necessary ingredients – including this shiny new bundt pan!
Part of my husband’s enthusiasm stems from the fact that I have never made a cake before! So, what do you need to get started?
3 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Vanilla Yogurt
1 Cup Softened Butter
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Vanilla (use the highest quality possible)
Rum Sauce Ingredients:
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Water
1/3 Cup Butter
2 Tbsp Rum
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine the Cake Ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat them with a mixer until well blended.
3. Pour the Cake Ingredients into a greased bundt pan.
4. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees, rotating halfway.
5. Just before the cake is done, combine the Rum Sauce Ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook until the butter melts, stirring to combine.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and stab it all over with a knife. Seriously. The more you stab it, the better your rum sauce will soak in.
7. Pour the rum sauce over the cake while both are still hot.
8. Once the cake is only slightly warm to the touch, flip it over onto a plate to remove it from the pan.
9. You can serve it warm or let it cool – your choice. The cake serves 8-12 people.
I am excited to share that this recipe was easy to make and well worth the effort! Even though I had never made a cake before, the cake came out perfectly! It is delicious both warm and cold and would be a great choice for a social gathering because a little goes a long way! The cake is awesome with the rum sauce, but it is also wonderful by itself, and would make a great base recipe from which to experiment from!