WOYWW 57: Unmounted Rubber Stamp Organization

A Few Ways To Store Your Unmounted Rubber Stamps

Happy What’s On Your Workspace Wednesday to you all! Today we are going to ignore that ever-expanding elephant known as my desk (my, that Legend sure knows how to spin a tale!) and focus on something positive – like how I recently organized my entire unmounted rubber stamp collection!

Initially I Stored My Stamps In Tins But Then My Collection Grew…

There are lots of ways to approach this. Some people like to store their stamps in binders; some people mount them on the wall (really!); others like to store their stamps in CD cases, DVD cases, and tins. There’s no right or wrong way to do this – experiment and see what works best for you!

Labeling & Indexing Your Stamps Is Key To Whatever System You Use

I’ve tried several methods and right now, what really works for me is storing my unmounted rubber in old Stampin Up clam shell cases. I like the fact that the cases are clear – that they come in different sizes – and that it gives new life and purpose to what would otherwise be disposable product packaging!

The Top Row Shows A Few Ways I’m Currently Indexing My Non-Packaged Stamps.
As I Use Them, I Include A Stamped Image Inside As Well!

I first divided all of my unmounted rubber stamps by company and sorted them into the clear clam shell cases. I then sorted the stamps within each case by category. I also labeled any unindexed stamps by company and stamp name for future reference. I will probably label the exterior of the clam shells at some point in time, but that doesn’t feel like a high priority since I can clearly see what’s inside them.

A Tisket, A Tasket, Look What’s In My Basket

Finally, I placed all of my unmounted rubber stamp cases – plus a roll of low tack tape, which I use on the stamps that don’t have EZ Mount – in a pretty basket. That makes it easy to find my unmounted rubber stamp collection when I need it!

One more positive to share – I actually sat down and made a Valentine’s Card this week!

Now, don’t be disappointed that Legend is still on strike – you can see Tsunami shine at Wordless Wednesday!

Wondering what’s around the bend? Stay tuned for a fabulous Cornbread Recipe and this year’s fifth and final One World One Heart event!

Curious about what’s on everyone else’s workspace this week? Be sure to visit Julia, the keeper of the links!

Have a fabulous week dear ones!

74 Responses to “WOYWW 57: Unmounted Rubber Stamp Organization”

1. lovinangels says:

My creativity extends as far as food, but I'm so good at that!

stopped by from the blog hop, hope you'll follow me back at http://www.lovinangelseveryday.blogspot.com

2. Penny says:

Following you thru the blog hop. Please follow back http://tupelodeals.blogspot.com

3. peggy aplSEEDS says:

good job on the organizing! it always makes me feel so satisfied to put things in order. you have some wonderful stamps. i got 2 sets last Christmas but i've only used a few of them. your post reminded me that i can add them to the background i was working on. thanks!

4. Judie aka Craftymess says:

What great ways to store them, mine just live in 3 drawers and i hunt for them lol

thanks for the peep

hugs
    Judie xx 158

5. shah wharton says:

Hello there. I'd like to invite you and any relevant buddies to a weekend long hop.

I'm hosting my own brand new and very first blog hop starting tomorrow for creative people: that include writers, artists of all genres, crafters,all sorts.

Please do try to stop by and link up. It needs some love to get it off the ground.

I'm following your from the hop too btw.

Shah at wordsinsync.blogspot.com X

6. S says:

Great job of organization, and smart to RE-use the SU cases. I know a lot of SU diehards switch them to the slightly slimmer cases, but that seems so wasteful, not to use the original clamshells. I use clamshell cases to corral my non-SU stamps too.

7. Neil says:

Impressive collection of stamps! Good Idea for storage.
    I laminated a whole lot of white copier paper and made books with a bind it all to store mine, they cling nicely to the pages. Still can't find the one I'm looking 4 tho !

8. Joanna says:

Great ideas! I have all of mine stuffed in a big box, it's shameful! I really need to get some better organization going on for my stamps. All f my large ones are lined up on shelves, but the tiny ones are a mess.

9. Julia Dunnit says:

It is an ongoing thing for me – I have a large number of clear stamps too, and am considering EZMount for them – they are the devil to store as they get older…congrats on your beautiful system..time well invested I think!

10. Kezzy says:

Fantastic ideas and your so organised. I'm in the middle of sorting my rubber stamps out, but I've been collecting for awhile and have a drawer unit full of them which I'm slowly trying to categorised.

11. Hands to Work, Hearts to God says:

I don't have that many stamps and the ones I have I mainly use for backgrounds and texture. So I don't have that much of a problem with stamps. But I can see how it will be difficult to organize, and find a particular one you want to use! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

12. Tracey Brossart says:

Wow lots of unmounted stamps there makes for great eye candy! Wonderful organization method too!

Happy be-lated WOYWW and
    Thanks for the peek! 😀

ƸӜƷ…x♥Tracey♥x…ƸӜƷ

13. RosC says:

Great storage ideas. I've been putting unmounted stamps in an A5 folder, but I'll think again. Thanks.
    Ros No. 163 Late again!

14. Karren says:

Hi there, Im your newest follower on GF, and here from Sunday Strolling Hop.
    Love your blog, pretty header banner.
    Come follow me please

Thanks
    Karren
    xoxo

15. Ohhh Snap says:

What a great system! The OCD part of me would love to have the same storage for everything, but the wallet says no. Also it's hard to spend big money on storage when there are crafty things. I love the re-using the clamshells. TFS!

#35

16. Simply Debbie says:

HAPPY PINK SATURDAY,
    I AM SPEECHLESS OVER THE AMOUNT OF STAMPS YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE AND INVENTORY OF. YOU ARE SOOOO ORGANIZED AND THAT IS A GIFT. I KNOW IT FEELS WONDERFUL WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN ORDER. MY LIFE STAYS IN SUCH CHAOS THAT I CAN CREATE IN CHAOS.
    HAVE A SUGAR SWEET DAY
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

17. Young and Crafty says:

Oh I love being organized! Great way to organize stamps.

Thanks for sharing in FFA!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

18. Kenneth Copeland says:

You are so organized. Very impressive!

19. Lisa says:

How brilliant! I am going to come back as I desparately need this type of organization.

20. jen says:

New visitor from Jenny Matlock. I actually threw away a few unmounted stamps on accident because they were hidden somewhere flat and inconspicuous. Great idea

21. Birgit says:

Oh, I wondered why you were talking about OWOH. It was then that I realized that you link to an older post — cheeky and smart! 🙂

I have a couple of unmounted rubber stamps here, but I still don’t know the right way to mount them. Since I don’t have many rubber stamps (*gasp*), I have enough space to store them mounted, you see. Any suggestions on what to buy to properly mount them?

Greetings from Germany,
    Birgit

PS: See my U post here! 🙂

Hi Birgit,

There are several ways to mount your unmounted stamps. One popular way is to purchase EZ Mount, which is a adhesive-backed foam that will permanently stick to your unmounted stamp and provide a nice cushion for it – and then allow you to temporarily adhere it to your clear blocks. I like EZ Mount but don’t purchase it because of the expense.

There are also certain glues you can use that I have seen people write about but I don’t do that because it sounds messy! 🙂

What I have been doing is using a low adhesive double sided tape to temporarily mount my unmounted rubber stamps on my acrylic blocks. Because it is low tack, it does not leave any marks on the blocks and it removes easily when you are done.

I use a cushioned mat when stamping to compensate for the lack of cushioning between the stamp and the acrylic block (in a pinch – use your mouse pad!)

Hope this helps! Have a fabulous day! 🙂

22. H says:

Woah! I can’t believe that so many people have unmounted rubber stamps. I wasn’t even sure what your title was referring to. It’s obviously not a big thing over here!

The nearest I come to this is a very small collection of stampers (mounted) which I occasionally use on kids books in school.

23. I love this idea! My stamps are in such disarray that sometimes I really don’t even like to make cards because of it!

I will definitely give this a try and see if it helps with the frustration of storing them!

Thanks so much!

I love some of the ones you have! I think I might have rubber stamp envy, for sure!

Thank you for linking.