Creative Gift Wrapping Tutorial

Creative Gift Wrap

Have you ever spent the day shopping for the perfect gift, only to arrive home and discover you forgot to pick up wrapping paper?

How many times have you set aside a day to wrap gifts for the holidays or another special occasion, only to run out of gift wrapping essentials mid-stream?

When was the last time you wanted to create a custom gift wrap for a loved one’s present, but weren’t sure where to begin?

When these situations occur, you need an alternative plan. Today, I’d like to inspire you to look for creative solutions to your creative gift wrapping needs by using the supplies you already have in your craft room and throughout your home!

Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing!

The DCWV Stack III

1. How many of you have more scrapbooking paper lying around your craft room than you could ever possibly use? Have you considered using some of your excess papers for creative gift wraps?

If you are a scrapper or card-maker who has purchased huge stacks of 12 x 12 patterned paper in the past and don’t know what to do with it all – those stacks are perfect for this task!

DCWV Paper

For my project, I picked a pretty paper that I thought would make a lovely backdrop for a girl gift from one of those old stacks of DCWV papers. How many of you remember – or have – these sitting in your craft room?

Scrapbooking paper is perfect for wrapping small gifts! Because they were made for crafting, the papers are sturdy and opaque and come in every color and design imaginable!

Similarly – if you sew and have lots of fabric lying around – or if you’ve recently remodeled and wallpapered your house – fabric and wallpaper could make great packaging for your gifts as well!

Wholeport Bunny Embellishments

2. Once you’ve picked your paper, the fun begins! How will you decorate your package? It’s time to pick your embellishments!

Since I chose something old for my backdrop, I decided to choose something new to dress the package up! I felt that WholePort Decorative Packing Tape and WholePort Decorative Buttons would make the perfect whimsical embellishments for my package!

3. Express your creativity – decorate your gift!

A Beautiful Package

I wrapped my gift in the 12 x 12 DCWV scrapbook paper, which provided a thick, beautiful foundation to build upon.

Next, for pizzazz, I added a strip of Wholeport Bunny Tape. I love using Wholeport decorative tape on my projects because it is low-tack and easy to pull up and re-apply if the need arises. As you can see, the tape is translucent – should you want an opaque effect, simply apply it to a strip of solid paper before attaching it to the package.

Then, I created an adorable, re-usable tag spotlighting one of the Wholeport Bunny Buttons! I distressed the tag and added ribbons in colors that coordinate with the papers.

Finally, I slipped my calling card – a Mini Moo Card – behind the handmade tag so that the recipient will know who the gift is from!

I hope this article inspires you to use your crafting supplies in new and exciting ways and, with the holidays just around the corner, to save a little money on your gift-wrapping needs!

What supplies can you use to create beautiful gift wraps?
Please share your ideas in the comments!

Have a wonderful week! For more creative ideas, join us for Inspire Me Monday and Friendship Friday!

WOYWW4

Pink Saturday

Serenity Now

By E-Mail, RSS, Linky Followers
Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter
Stumble Upon, Goodreads, Library Thing

Pinterest

Join Us For

Copyright © 2013 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.

115 Responses to “Creative Gift Wrapping Tutorial”

1. Rachelle S. says:

Great idea! I have tons of scrapbooking paper and I have never thought of using it for wrapping paper. I have used it for envelopes though. Thanks for sharing!

2. Kaz @ Melting Moments says:

I had a giggle at the message on the tape. Very creative and cute! 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

3. Sara says:

I used to scrapbook all the time before having kiddies. As I try to clear out my basement I am looking for ways to use up my scrapbooking supplies. I have tons of paper, stickers and embellishments. Thanks for the great idea!!!

4. Elizabeth Loftis says:

what great ideas! Creative and yet an easy way to use what a lot of people have!

5. What lovely ideas! I like to create my own porcupine bows. I learned how to do this years ago when watching “The Home Show”. Each of us can be creative and your blog is inspiring!

6. Cindy @ lifegetsreal.co says:

Such a cute idea. Very creative.

7. Dianna says:

This is such a lovely and thrifty idea. The outcome is beautiful and looks so professional! I love it! The only thing I don’t like is how time consuming this sounds. How long did it take you to do this?

Seriously, the longest thing for me was picking out which paper I wanted to use and coordinating the supplies – the actual execution of the project was relatively easy!

Wrapping with the scrapbook paper was actually easier than using wrapping paper (better quality and a more manageable size) – the decorative tape is great because you don’t need additional supplies, it just sticks on – and the tag was a breeze to assemble!

I think if you are wrapping for an occasion – such as the upcoming Christmas holidays – if you gather coordinating supplies in advance, you could wrap your gifts (and have fun doing it) in no time at all! 🙂

8. kelli says:

These really are cute ideas! I am guilty of having tons of scrapbooking paper, but am finding other creative uses as well.

9. Leah says:

Wow so creative! I am really good at messing something beautiful like this up so I opt for gift bags 🙂 So simple n not near as creative but does the job for me =)

10. Pam Allen says:

OMG how cute and creative this is- thank you and I’m pinning this post!

I didn’t even think about sewing things to help decorate and that cool tape- looking into what that is. Also the Moo Card- great idea!

The last time I didn’t have wrapping paper we used a paper bag and painted it.

11. Jennifer says:

I’ve never thought of using the stacks and stacks of scrapbook paper that I have laying around to wrap small presents, what a great idea!

12. Amy @ Butterfly Angels Quilting says:

I’m a quilter, so I often use fabric, or at least a fabric bow over the wrapping paper. Beautiful bunnies!!

13. Peg Crawford says:

I have had to improvise with wrapping paper but never would have come up with anything that imaginative. I have used the Sunday funny pages and that is about as good as I got. You have a great talent.

14. Grandma Loy says:

One of my least favorite things to do is to wrap gifts. I usually pawn it off on my granddaughter if I can. I do sometimes sew up quick gift bags from fabric scraps since I am a quilter. Using scrapbook paper for wrapping small gifts is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

15. Krista says:

Great idea. I never thought of using leftover scrapbook paper for wrapping, but it turned out so cute. I have some of that wrapping paper sitting around! I have used colored tissue paper to wrap a gift before and that has also turned out well. Thanks for the tip!

16. Oh my, oh my! How pretty! I would never open it!!

17. Rosenda says:

I never thought of getting so detailed like this! What a great way to add that extra special touch. This reminds me of the old days when they still had gift wrap in stores. It’s all about the details, isn’t it? Thank you for your inspiration.

18. Luchessa says:

Oh i love creative ideas for gift wrapping. Now that the big holidays aren’t too far away, i’m sure going to get some more fun ribbons & cards 😀 Thanks for the tips.

Btw: I found this particular post through the I love my post blog hop – so glad you participated!
    xo,
    Luchessa.org

19. Nikki says:

Such a cute idea! I am not very crafty so I don’t have any suggestions lol. I would love to be able to come up with something like this though 😀

20. Gena says:

So, so cute! I love how you put all the different pieces together.
    –Gena

21. Jenn says:

OMG, how cute! I love the bunnies!! This is a great idea, I would never have thought about wrapping something with scrapbook paper!

22. Jae Mac says:

Very pretty. I have no craft paper or fabric, but these are great tips for those who do. Don’t scrap it, it can be repurposed!
    Jae Mac @ I’m Just Sayin’…(Damn!)

23. Very cute! I love experimenting with gift wrapping during the holidays, sometimes the gift wrap is so pretty I hate to see it get ripped apart to open the gift. See some of fabulous gift wrapping ideas here:

24. Katherines Corner
    Twitter: goaskkatie

This is creative and unique I love it!!!!!! Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

25. Krista Low says:

So smart! I have so much scrapbook paper at my house and it drives my husband bonkers! What a great use of all those fun papers. And I would have never thought to use embellishments on a gift like that. You are so fun. I feel pretty lame right now, I’m lucky to stick a card on my gifts… Thanks for the great idea! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

26. Lisa Ehrman says:

This is soo adorable 🙂

27. Jaime Wiebel says:

I’ve always said pretty wrapping just adds to the gift and makes the gift that much better. Sometimes the gift inside gets overshadowed by the pretty wrapping. That’s okay. I love wrapping gifts at Christmas. Sometimes as much as getting the gift.

1. […] For more creative ideas, see my Creative Gift Wrapping Tutorial. […]

2. How to make that perfect bow for your gift that you just learned how to wrap | My Unusual Gifts says:

[…] Creative Gift Wrapping Tutorial […]