Pumpkin Babka Recipe
To celebrate the arrival of Autumn, I’d like to share an amazing recipe with you! How would you like to delight your friends and family with homemade Pumpkin Babka?
This recipe is designed for you to create three mouth-watering loaves! Share one loaf with your family – use the second loaf to create our award-winning Pumpkin French Toast Casserole Recipe – and share the third loaf with a friend!
Pumpkin Babka Dough Ingredients
1 ½ Cups Warm Milk, 110 Degrees
2 (1/4 Ounce Each) Packages Active Dry Yeast
3/4 Cups Plus A Pinch Of Sugar
3 Whole Large Eggs, Room Temperature
2 Large Egg Yolks, Room Temperature
6 Cups All-Purpose Flour, Plus More For Work Surface
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces, Room Temperature*
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
*You will also need additional butter for the bowl and the loaf pans.
The Ingredients and Instructions for the Pumpkin Filling and Streusel are included after the Pumpkin Babka Dough Instructions.
This recipe makes three loaves of Pumpkin Babka and tastes amazing in our award-winning Pumpkin French Toast Casserole!
Pumpkin Babka Dough Instructions
1. Pour warm milk into a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast and pinch of sugar over milk. Mix them together, then let the yeast mixture stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, 2 eggs, and egg yolks. Add the egg mixture to the yeast mixture, and whisk to combine.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour and salt. Add the egg mixture, and beat on low speed until almost all the flour is incorporated, about 30 seconds.
4. Change to the dough hook. Add butter, and beat until the flour mixture and butter are completely incorporated, and a smooth, soft dough that’s slightly sticky when squeezed is formed, about 10 minutes.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few turns until smooth. Butter a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
6. Set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
7. Create the Pumpkin Filling (see Separate Instructions. below).
8. Generously butter three 9×5 inch loaf pans. Beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon cream; set egg wash aside.
9. Punch back the dough, and transfer it to a clean surface. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
Cut into 3 equal pieces. Keep 2 pieces covered with plastic wrap while working with the remaining piece. On a generously floured surface, roll dough out into a 16-inch square approximately 1/8 inch thick.
10. Brush the edges with reserved egg wash. Set aside 6 tablespoons of the Pumpkin filling. Spread 1/3 of the remaining pumpkin filling evenly over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Refresh egg wash if needed.
11. Roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll. Pinch ends together to seal.
Twist 5 or 6 turns.
Brush top of roll with egg wash. Carefully spread 2 tablespoons filling over the left half of the roll, being careful not to let mixture slide off. Fold right half of the roll over onto the coated left half. Fold ends under and pinch to seal.
12. Twist roll 2 turns, and fit into prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of dough and remaining filling.
13. Create the Streusel (see Separate Instructions).
14. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the top of each loaf with egg wash. Crumble 1/3 of streusel topping over each loaf. Loosely cover each pan with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place 20 to 30 minutes.
15. Bake the loaves, rotating halfway through, until golden, about 55 minutes.
16. Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until babkas are deep golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Remove from oven, and transfer to wire racks until completely cool.
Pumpkin Babka Filling Ingredients (Step 7)
1 1/2 Cups Packed Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
1 1/4 Cups (1 1/2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
3 Cups Finally Chopped Pecans, Toasted
Pumpkin Babka Filling Instructions (Step 7)
1. Toast The Pecans: Place pecans in a Calphalon Everyday Pan. Toast the pecans over medium heat, stirring constantly until there is a strong nutty aroma in the air – 5 minutes or less. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
2. Combine the following pumpkin ingredients in a 6 x 10 casserole (flat bottom) dish: Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Pumpkin Puree. Stir until smooth.
3. Cut in softened butter with 2 pastry knives.
4. Stir in the pecans.
Stresusel Ingredients (Step 13)
1 2/3 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
1 1/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
12 Tablespoons (1 ½ Sticks) Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
Stresusel Instructions (Step 13)
1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and butter.
2. Using a fork, stir until fully combined with clumps ranging in size from crumbs to 1 inch.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out our:
- Chocolate Babka Recipe
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake Recipe
- Stuffed Pumpkin With Apple & Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding Recipe
For more great recipes, visit Create With Joy – Recipes.
Copyright © 2015 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
If you see this content posted elsewhere, please contact the site owner.
Thank you for helping to prevent content theft!