A Light So Lovely: The Spiritual Legacy of Madeleine L’Engle – Book Review
I first discovered Madeleine L’Engle the way most of us do – through the reading of her Newbery Award winning book, A Wrinkle In Time as a child. Of course, my love affair did not end there – I eagerly devoured sequel after sequel to the original story as well.
As an avid fan of science fiction and fantasy, I’ve always counted these childhood classics among my favorites, but my interest in Madeleine as an author might have faded had I not discovered a book by her Walking On Water: Reflections On Faith And Art during my impressionable college years. It was through the reading of this book that I discovered the incredible depth that Madeleine L’Engle possessed as an artist – a writer – and as a woman of faith.
So – when I learned that Sarah Arthur was publishing a biography entitled A Light So Lovely: The Spiritual Legacy of Madeleine L’Engle , I could not wait to get my hands on a copy of this book!
A Light So Lovely provides us with a wonderful portrait and tribute to this gifted author by tracking seven key movements through her life:
- Chapter One surveys Madeleine’s life and works as a whole and identifies her spheres of influence.
- Chapter Two looks at A Wrinkle In Time and examines how the book – like Madeleine – bridges the worlds of the secular and sacred in our culture.
- Chapter Three traces Madeleine’s spiritual formation as a child.
- Chapter Four examines the life-changing impact of scientists on her conversion to Christianity.
- Chapter Five examines Madeleine’s spiritual influence on others throughout the middle years of her life.
- Chapter Six examines the personal challenges Madeleine faced in life, including the loss of her son.
- Chapter Seven examines the ways in which Madeleine battled with the darkness in her own life.
Madeleine L’Engle was an incredibly inspiring writer and spiritual woman whose life story is worth reading about. If you are a fan, you will definitely want to read this book!
I rate this books 5 out of 5 stars.
A Light So Lovely – Video Trailer
For More Information
- Visit the Author’s Website.
For More Great Books
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Book Look Bloggers. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Copyright © 2018 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
If you see this content posted elsewhere, please contact the site owner.
Thank you for helping to prevent content theft!