WOYWW – Tips For Making ATCs

ATCs by Create With Joy

Happy WOYWW to you all! We are just a few weeks away from the great WOYWW ATC Swap of 2012 and I am excited to learn that so many 1st-time ATC makers will be joining this event! To encourage those of you who are still on the fence, here’s a few more ATCs to get your creative juices flowing! Included in this week’s batch are a House-Shaped ATC (#5) and a JAMS ATC (#4). For another variation, click to see my Folded ATC!

The best way to get started is to create lots of card bases in different colors so you’ll have a good supply of cards on hand when inspiration strikes! Gather an assortment of cardstock and your paper trimmer and start cutting! Here are some templates to help you maximixe your cuts:

1) If you are working with 12 x 12 Cardstock, use the fabulous 12 x 12 template provided by Club Scrap Addicts! You will find the complete instructions here to get an amazing 16 cards out of each sheet of paper!

ATC Cutting Diagram - 12 x 12 Cardstock - Source - Club Scrap Addicts

2) If you are working with 8.5 x 11 cardstock, you will want to use the 8.5 x 11 template provided by Mirkwood Designs. You will get 10 cards out of this pattern. Mirkwood Designs has an extensive collection of papercrafting templates, including an Artist Trading Card Envelope template and an extensive gallery of samples!

Once you’ve made your ATC bases, you will want to begin collecting materials to use on your cards. If you begin making ATCs on a regular basis, you will want to keep your eye out for items that specifically work well on with ATCs! Next week, I’ll share some items that I’ve found make particularly nice embellishments for ATCS that you probably have lying around your craft room!

Before you go:

Have a wonderful week, dear friends!

Pinterest

74 Responses to “WOYWW – Tips For Making ATCs”

1. Thanks for the tips on making ATCs. I need all the help I can get! I just realized that I will be back from vacation just before the Week 156 ATC swap. Aaacckk! I need to try and do one before I leave next Tuesday, if I can … Have a great week! Darnell 160

2. Monica Smith says:

that is an interesting way of doing ATC. i better go check the rules.

3. Snowies says:

Thanks for the great tips! Especially having the cards ready to go for when your inspiration hits! Would cut down on my many ‘notes’ around the house 😉
    New follower from blog hop 🙂

4. Eliza says:

Has a theme been set for the swap? I have looked everywhere, a reply to this would be great.

Fantastic instructions too.

Eliza

5. suzanne says:

Thanks, I too have ATC anxiety – I’ve never made one before. I do want to give it a go so I hope I don’t lose my nerve! (Not participating in WOYWW this week – just visitingX)

Hi Suzanne

For those of you who are feeling anxious – just cut up a few cards and play! The beauty of ATCs are that they are so small, you really don’t have to worry about messing them up – make a bunch of blanks, experiment, swap the ones you like, and keep the ones you don’t! The real estate is so small you really don’t have anything to lose (and a whole new hobby to gain!) 🙂

6. Helen T says:

Many thanks for the look at your ATCs, I’m still undecided… #75

7. Pam
    Twitter: anartuflmom

Love the templates and the ATCs! Stopped by from CreativeMe at Southern Institute. I have not made ATCs yet, but I have been wanting to. (I’ve done some tags and love doing those.) Have a great day!

8. April @ The 21st Century Housewife
    Twitter: apriljharris

I cannot believe I had not heard of ATCs before. They sound really lovely!

9. Riet says:

Thank you for showing this. Just a few days ago I have been looking at ATC cards. Didn’t know what they were. Read it on a blog and the lady was also talking about inches. She sent me one a few years ago but I don’t remember anything about it any more. What fun to have a yearly changing day.
    Love your A word.

10. I wish I had even one creative bone in my body….

Beautiful cards!

11. While I am not the crafty type, I appreciate the effort put into this blog. Visiting from Miss Jenny’s. I’ve been to your other blogs as well♫♪

12. I’ve never attempted making these little works of art!

You inspire me to put them on my list of things to try though!

What a wonderful tutorial!

Thanks for sharing it.

A+

1. […] For those of you who are new to ATC making – or who are last minute ATC makers who could use some great 8 ½ and 12 x 12 ATC templates to help you cut your ATC bases – be sure to check out my post WOYWW – Tips For Making ATCs. […]