Book Review – No Greater Love by Levi Benkert
Have you ever received a phone call that forever changed your life?
Former real estate developer Levi Benkert has. During a period when his business was failing and he faced an uncertain future, Levi received an urgent call from Steve, a former family friend turned pastor.
“I just found out a few guys I know are heading to Ethiopia to help with an orphanage project and was wondering if you’d want to join them.”
“Sounds like fun,” I said, trying to humor him,
“No really.” He almost pleaded. “You’ve got to hear this. There’s a rural tribe that are killing their children because of some superstition…”
“There are more children…who are going to be killed if someone doesn’t rescue them… Will you go, Levi? Will you help?”
No Greater Love – One Man’s Radical Journey Through The Heart Of Ethiopia by Levi Benkert and Candy Chand is the riveting story of a man who risks everything to save children who are destined to die by their own parents’ hands because they are “mingi”.
Mingi means “unclean” or “cursed”. In certain Ethiopian tribes, elders can declare children mingi for reasons such as these:
- The child’s parents are not married.
- The child’s top teeth come in before their bottom teeth.
- The parents do not announce to the elders they are planning to conceive in an elaborate ritual ceremony.
Once a child is pronounced mingi, the parents must kill their child to protect themselves and the tribe from evil spirits. As many as one thousand Ethiopian children a year die as a result of mingi sacrifices.
- Do mingi children ever survive?
- What happens when a mingi child is rescued?
- How do tribal parents feel about mingi?
- What happens when parents and mingi survivors meet?
- What is the Ethiopian government doing to protect mingi children?
- How can I help?
You’ll learn the answers to these questions and more in this amazing story!
No Greater Love is one of the most compelling books I have read this year. The story is both hope-filled and heart-breaking. Although the author begins the book by acknowleging that the ending isn’t what he envisioned as he began his journey, the outcome is very true to life. I look foward to reading more about Levi’s new adventures as he and his family embrace their new role in the lives of the Ethiopians – one that is part of God’s larger redemptive plan.
I highly recommend this book (5 stars) and, thanks to the generosity of Levi and Jessie Benkert themeslves, would like to give away a copy to one lucky reader! If you would like to enter the giveaway, please follow the instructions at the end of this post!
No Greater Love by Levi Benkert – Book Trailer
If you are reading this book review in a format where you cannot see this video, click here.
Levi Benkert is a former California real estate developer who moved to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with his wife Jessie and his four children to create a better life for orphaned Ethiopian children. He formed a community called Bring Love In that helps create families made up of orphans and widows within the local Christian church community. Levi is passionate about his family, orphan care, and writing.
For More Information:
- Visit Bring Love In
- Follow @BringLoveIn on Twitter
- Follow Levi’s Personal Website
- Follow @LeviBenkert on Twitter
More Great Resources
If this book interests you, here’s a few more great books you may enjoy:
For more great books, visit Create With Joy – Book Reviews!
Subscribe To Create With Joy
No Greater Love – Giveaway
Congratulations to Courtney Eller,
The Winner of this Giveaway!
Would you like the chance to win a copy of No Greater Love from Levi and Jessie Benkert? I would be delighted to award a copy to one lucky Create With Joy reader!
To enter, complete the Required Entry and then any Bonus Entries you desire. Please leave a SEPARATE COMMENT on this blog post for each entry you submit. Include your Name, E-Mail and any requested data so that I can verify your entries and contact you in the event that you win!
1. Required Entry: Follow Create With Joy through Google Plus, Twitter, Linky Followers, E-Mail Subscription, Pinterest, Stumble Upon or RSS Feed, then leave a comment letting me know how you follow and why you would like to win this book! Include your e-mail and the method/name you are following under for verification purposes.
2. Bonus Entry(s): Share this giveaway on your blog and/or your favorite social media platforms. Receive 1 bonus entry with each verifiable link you submit!
3. Bonus Entry(s): Share this giveaway on Twitter using the tweet below (or a similar tweet)! You can tweet up to three times a day. You will receive 1 entry per verified tweet.
Please Copy & Paste The Following Tweet For Your Entries
Win No Greater Love by @LeviBenkert at http://create-with-joy.com via @CreateWithJoy1 thru 10/31/12 #Books #Contests PLS RT
4. Bonus Entry(s): Award Create With Joy +K in Books, Creativity, Crafts and any other Klout Topics of your choice. Leave your Klout ID information in the comments for verification purposes. You will receive 1 entry per +K.
This giveaway closes on October 31, 2012. The winner will be chosen using a random number generator. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. The winner will be contacted via e-mail and have 24 hours to respond before another winner is chosen.
This giveaway is open to all Create With Joy followers, ages 18 and over. No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law. All decisions by Create With Joy are final. By submitting an entry, you are indicating that you have read and agree to these Official Rules.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review, nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.