Meditate Your Weight – A 21-Day Retreat To Optimize Your Metabolism And Feel Great – Book Review
Okay, before I begin to review this book, I’m going to be totally honest with you: meditation is not my thing. Sitting quietly in a dark room, taking deep breaths, chanting mantras and doing all the things one normally associates with meditation does not come naturally to me.
By nature, I am a Type A person. Filling my day with too many activities, stressing about everything under the sun, and then comfort-eating to calm my frazzled nerves is more my speed.
That’s why Meditate Your Weight – A 21-Day Retreat To Optimize Your Metabolism And Feel Great by Tiffany Cruikshank caught my eye and my interest. Since I’m in the process of trying to teach myself better habits and transform my lifestyle after a lifetime of bad habits, I was curious to see what the author had to say on the topic and if her approach to meditation could really yield benefits for those like me who were trying to improve their health.
Turns out that Tiffany provides a lot of beneficial information for those who are interested in the practical value of meditation in their lives and in approaching the practice from a scientific perspective.
At its core, meditation is a means of training your mind. It has direct physiological effects on the brain and nervous system that can be studied in the lab, marked by sophisticated fMRI brain scanners, or analyzed with a blood test, stethoscope, or heart rate monitor. In fact, over the last twenty-five years, more than three thousand studies on meditators have been conducted at some of the most respected research institutions in the world [and] the data from these studies is very clear: Meditation helps people lead healthier, happier and more fulfilling lives.
Meditate Your Weight is divided into three parts:
- In Part 1, What’s Weighing You Down, Tiffany addresses some commonly held misconceptions pertaining to meditation and explores the health benefits of meditation, particularly in terms of how it relates to your weight and metabolism.
- In Part 2, Your 21-Day Retreat, Tiffany provides a 3-week program that’s designed to help you identify some of the major issues that have held you back in the past while developing a deeper compassion for yourself. What is significant about this program is that you will not be “emptying your mind” during these meditations – a valid spiritual concern for many non-practitioners – but consciously identifying the physical sensations and emotions that arise throughout the exercises – reflecting on specific questions – and journaling your answers to them.
- In Part 3, the Meditate Your Weight Tool Kit, Tiffany provides tips and exercises that will help you to shift your focus from losing weight to gaining health.
A lot of times we go through our days too busy to notice what’s going on inside of us. Meditate Your Weight invites us to slow down, to become aware of how we are feeling, and to make conscious changes that will transform our lives.
I confess: I approached this book as a skeptic but after reviewing it, I think that I’m a fan!
I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.
About Tiffany Cruikshank
Tiffany Cruikshank, LAC, MAOM, is an internationally acclaimed yoga teacher, author, meditation, health and wellness expert who has a pre-med bachelor’s degree in Medicinal Plant Biology and Nutrition and a master’s degree in acupuncture an Oriental medicine with a specialization in sports medicine and orthopedics.
Tiffany is the founder of Yoga Medicine and has treated more than 25,000 patients from around the world using yoga, acupuncture, nutrition, meditation and holistic health.
Tiffany has been featured in Yoga Journal, Self, Marie Claire, Prevention, Forbes, Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan and Redbook and on Fox News among many others.
For More Information
- Visit Tiffany’s Website.
- Connect with Tiffany on Facebook and Twitter.
- Meditate Your Weight is available on Amazon.
For More Great Books
- Visit Create With Joy – Book Reviews.
- Follow Create With Joy on GoodReads.
- Join us at The Book Nook At Create With Joy – a community for book lovers!
Stay In Touch!
Follow Create With Joy On:
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Copyright © 2016 by Create With Joy. All Rights Reserved.
If you see this content posted elsewhere, please contact the site owner.
Thank you for helping to prevent content theft!